Prime Occupational Medicine would like to encourage you to prevent your workers from becoming the next statistic! You can easily prevent heat-related illnesses if you and your employees know what steps to take:
Heat Exhaustion can be treated, but PREVENTING IT IS MUCH BETTER!
- Do know what combination of temp, work, and personal medical conditions that would put you at risk
- Do know how much work you should do and how much water you should drink
- Do rest and cool off regularly
- Do know symptoms of heat exhaustion
- Do cool off a victim quickly, using shade, fan, and wetness
- Call for medical help as soon as possible
- Don’t drink alcohol or caffeine drinks as your source of fluid intake
- Don’t ignore your or your co-workers’ symptoms
- Don’t ice down or rub alcohol on a victim
- Don’t force a victim that is not fully alert to drink
- Don’t hesitate to call for medical help
- Above all, DO NOT push your or your co-workers’ physical limits
REMEMBER: Heat with high humidity can severely limit your body’s normal ability to work.